ZYDAX® is a disease modifying osteoarthritis drug (DMOAD) for dogs and is the leading innovation in osteoarthritis management. Unlike anti-inflammatories which tend to treat the symptoms of osteoarthritis, ZYDAX targets the progression of the disease.
Studies show that using DMOADs slows osteoarthritis progression, as well as relieving pain and inflammation. They provide effective long term treatment of osteoarthritis. Due to the long development process of osteoarthritis, the lack of symptoms in the initial stages and the difficulty of diagnosis in these early stages, DMOADs are also used proactively in dogs considered at risk dogs of developing the disease.
ZYDAX acts in multiple ways:
- Stimulates cartilage producing cells to produce healthy cartilage
- Slows cartilage damage by destructive enzymes
- Stimulates joint capsule cells to produce lubricating joint fluid
- Reduces swelling and blocks inflammatory processes
- Improves blood flow and nutrition to joint structures
ZYDAX is administered by veterinarians weekly for 4 weeks. Usually you will see a reduction of osteoarthritis signs after 2 or 3 injections. The initial course of injections typically provides 3 – 6 months of relief from the problems associated with osteoarthritis. After this time your veterinarian may recommend another course of 4 injections.